Academy Member Inducted 2023
Hon. Kristine Eidsvik, K.C.
Suite 501, 308 4 Ave. SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0H7
Cell: (403) 617-3671
Recognized to Alberta Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration
Online / In-Person
Hon. Kristine Eidsvik, Q.C. practised civil litigation in Alberta for 23 years after graduating from the University of Alberta Law School in 1983. She served on the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta from 2007-2022.
During her litigation practice, she conducted over 40 trials, multiple appeals, and was involved from the outset in the development of mini-trials, JDRs, mediation, and later, arbitrations to help solve her clients’ disputes as efficiently and expeditiously as possible. She lectured frequently and sat on many pro-bono boards. She was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2004.
At the Court, she sat on the large variety of cases in the general jurisdiction Court of Queen’s Bench (criminal, family, civil, wills and estates etc). She conducted over a hundred Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR) hearings.
More specifically, she was a member of the commercial committee and sat on, and case managed, multiple oil and gas, mining, and corporate cases. She was co-chair of the Court’s Technology Committee for 6 years. She also was involved in the JDR committee, the New Judges’ Education committee (mentoring 40 new judges in her 6-year tenure as co-chair).
Kristine is fluently bilingual and conducted many trials in French. She was a Director on the Canadian Superior Court Judges’ Association board for 12 years and was recognised in July 2021 with the President’s Award for her efforts on their committees. She is also on the executive of the Civil Litigation study committee with the International Judges’ Association.
Kristine wrote approximately 100 written decisions, mainly in the civil, commercial and criminal areas, and participated in several decisions while sitting ad hoc with the Court of Appeal. She lectured in areas of commercial insolvency litigation, evidence, negotiations and JDRs, virtual trials and hearings, technology in the courtroom, litigation financing, costs, and judicial wellness.
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas/Nuclear)
- Land Use/Planning
- Queen’s Counsel Appointment – 2004 (now King’s Counsel)
- Called to the Alberta Bar - 1984
- University of Alberta, LL.B. (Dean’s List) – 1983
- University of Waterloo, B.A. (Psychology) – 1980
- President’s Award, Canadian Superior Court Judges’ Association – July 2021
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the ADR Institute of Alberta/Canada
- Member of the Calgary Bar Association
- Membre de L’Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Alberta
- Member of the Canadian Association of Superior Court Judges, Chair of the Retired Judges’ Committee, former co-chair of the Compensation Committee (during the Quadrennial Commission 2020), Co-Chair of the Technology Committee, member of the International committee, and communication committee
- Member of the executive of the 2e Study Commission on Civil Litigation, International Judges
- Member of the International Women’s Forum
- Past member of many Court Committees including the Commercial List, Technology Committee (Co-Chair for 6 years), JDR Committee, Civil Litigation Committee, French Committee (Chair for many years), New Judges Training Committee (Co- Chair for 6 years), Communication Committee